What is HIV?
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. It damages the body’s immune system, making it easier for a person to get sick. When it comes to the difference of HIV vs. AIDS, it’s important to note that you cannot have AIDS without being infected with HIV. But people can and do live long lives on treatment for HIV and AIDS.
But what causes HIV? Good question. HIV can spread through vaginal, anal, or oral sex, injection drug use or sharing needles, contact with infected blood, or from mother to child during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding.
- Longer or shorter periods
- Night sweats
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Mouth ulcers
- Lower belly pain
- Rapid weight loss
- Recurring fever
- Profuse night sweats
- Extreme and unexplained tiredness
- Prolonged swelling of the lymph glands in the armpits, groin, or neck
- Diarrhea that lasts for more than a week
While HIV cannot be cured, modern therapies and treatments are available that can help HIV-positive people live long, healthy lives. There are two types of HIV treatment: pills and shots. There are many effective HIV prevention options as well.
- HIV treatment pills are recommended for people who are just starting HIV treatment. Mail-order prescriptions can make it easier to stay consistent with treatment pills.
- HIV treatment shots are long-acting injections used to treat people with HIV.
- Condoms are still one of the best ways to prevent the spread of HIV.
- PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is a medicine that reduces your chances of getting HIV from sex or injection drug use.
- Never share needles, syringes, or other drug injection equipment.
Here at AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), we’ve spent 35 years designing and perfecting our HIV medical services to make sure you receive care that meets all of your needs. You’re a whole person, and we’ve made it our mission to treat and care for the whole you.
We offer a wide range of services designed to fit your life. From expert primary care and HIV pharmacy services to health insurance assistance and medication delivery, we do whatever we can to help you stay as healthy as possible.
Did you know that when people with HIV stay in treatment, their viral load can get so low that HIV won’t appear on standard blood tests? When this happens, doctors refer to a person’s status as “undetectable.” When someone’s viral load becomes undetectable, they can’t spread HIV to others during sex, and the virus becomes “untransmittable.”
AHF helps our clients’ status become HIV undetectable & untransmittable through state-of-the-art medical care and access to an HIV specialty pharmacy. We offer unique pill packaging, prescription delivery, and adherence support to help you stay consistent with HIV medication and attending routine appointments.
If you recently tested positive for HIV and aren’t sure what to do next, we can help. Our team is here to guide you through the first vital steps of your health journey.
AHF Linkage to Care Specialists will quickly and easily get you started in care at one of our AHF Healthcare Centers. Simply fill out the form to get the process started.
We understand that dealing with a positive diagnosis is a process. But we’re here for you. It’s important to remember that you can live a long and healthy life with the proper care and treatment.
When you choose AHF, you have access to the following:
- One on One Guidance and Support
- Help with Registration Paperwork
- Immediate Appointment Scheduling
- Transportation Assistance
- HIV Specialty Pharmacy Services
- Mail Order Pharmacy & Pharmacy Delivery
- HIV Medication Assistance
- HIV Financial Assistance
Don’t wait. Get started on your journey to good health today.